The results of a recent survey of 1,259 Registered Dietician’s yielded the following results.
Top 10 Foods for 2020
1. Fermented Foods, like yogurt & kefir
4. Exotic fruit, like acai, golden berries
5. Ancient grains
8. Non-dairy milks
10. Green Tea
Top 3 Diet Trends that are “IN”
- Clean Eating
- Intermittent Fasting
Top 3 Diet Trends that are “OUT”
- Dash Diet
- Evolutionary Eating
Top 5 Nutrition Recommendations from RDNs
According to the survey, RDNs give these five health and wellness eating tips for 2020:
1. Eat more servings of vegetables per day
2. Increase fiber intake
3. Limit highly processed foods or fast foods
4. Limit foods with “added sugars”
5. Choose non-caloric drinks, like unsweetened tea and coffee
My take: I’m on board with all but #2. Increased fiber intake is a highly individual thing, so I think it is a poor idea to recommend this as a public health message. Too much fiber can be a bad thing for people with digestive issues. Fiber intake needs to be customized to your own, personal individual needs. More is not necessarily better.
The other recommendations are golden!